Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Affirmation | Don't just go through it .. GROW through it

10 years in QA: A brief retrospective

This Thanksgiving week - November 2019 - I will be celebrating 10 years in this field. I came to this field, on this same holiday, back in 2009 with zero experience in Quality Assurance (QA), testing, or any formal training. At the time, I was studying information systems security (a passion I still wish to pursue).

I interviewed for the position at a start-up agency with nothing more than some first-hand knowledge of compliance like Sarbanes - Oxley Act, HIPPA, and a few others, as well as a "can-do" attitude. They took a chance on me and I've been grateful ever since.

It has been a turbulent decade, filled with many highs and a few too many lows. A career that has included a steady climb to the top of the mountain - as a Manager - and currently serving as automation engineer. I will recap some of those highs and lows as befitting the tradition retros I have come to participate in while employed at many of these companies.

LIKED


  • The current engineering path I am on is heaven! Automation is the greatest skill I have ever learned

  • I got the opportunity to work with some amazing people, some of whom are still friends

  • I got the chance to work on a wide array of applications for web and mobile

  • In Agile, Test cases are an antiquated artifact that is no longer utilized

  • Workplace lunch & learns have been a blessing, and I love to participate when the chance arises




LOATHED


  • Workplace politicians can make this job unbearable

  • Too many managers place a high value in Key Performance Indicators (KPI) as a way of measuring progress

  • Workplace optics matters, but never for the right reasons

  • I've come to the realization I really really hate micro-management

  • Having to perform full regression tests on complex apps with no context on what was changed, in a short window of time

  • Having to work long nights, weekends, and some holidays with no appreciation

  • Getting laid off too many times for financial reasons

  • Getting fired for trivial (or political) reasons

  • Performance Improvement Plans (PIP) .. the instrument of purest deceit and guaranteed dismissal from employment (happened twice)




LONGED


  • More opportunities to practice security testing

  • Workplace mentor, especially when I first started. Its been rough having to learn on my own

  • Career stability

  • Proper certifications in Security (need to get on this)




LEARNED


  • BOSS ISN'T ALWAYS RIGHT, BUT THE BOSS IS STILL THE BOSS

  • Never accept anything you are not comfortable doing

  • Bringing QA in early on a project is invaluable

  • I have the potential for leadership, but I've come to learn its not a path I wish to take

  • I got to work with earliest versions of iPhone, Android, Blackberry, and Windows devices

  • I am at my best when I am given creative freedom and autonomy in tasks to be done

  • How to work with offshore teams

  • How to work with QA Outsourcing Companies like Applause

  • Have learned automation skills working with different frameworks

  • Automating iOS and Android apps (barely, but a lot has changed since I tried this)

  • Work with DevOps, Jenkins, and collaborating on best ways to approach CI/CD

  • Have finally learned how to use Postman effectively

  • You have to stay on top of your skills or become obsolete

  • You are an asset until you are not, then you become expendable

  • I've learned to work in both Waterfall and Agile methodologies

  • In one engagement, I learned how to run a team of like-minded people

  • Have worked testing front-end, back-end, CMS of all kinds, some performance testing

  • Have learned how to work with security tools (the learning continues)

  • Learned the power of HR, positives and negatives

  • I have learned there's no such thing as workplace loyalty

No comments:

Post a Comment