Friday, January 13, 2023

Security Testing Journal Entry | w/e Friday January 13, 2023


It has been a somewhat productive, mostly fun week

Two weeks of the new year in the bag, and I feel fine!

Unemployment has been a drag. I will go on about this in a separate entry, but for the most part the job search has been rough. Part of me needs a job to pay the bills and what-not, the other part of me is so over everything. What's the point of going through the circle- jerk of looking for a job you'll ultimately end up loosing if you're not playing the game the right way. It's not fair that bad decisions by executives result in job loss.

Regarding the job search, had a great first-round interview with one company, and had something great happen on slack that lead to applying for another job. A really great third opportunity was missed due to the policy of being hybrid (x-days in office, y-days out), with the office being located in Atlanta. I can't wait to hear back from either IBM or BRIGHT .. two potential job leads leaning towards the cybersecurity world. Not quite there yet, but a foot in the door at a Cybersecurity company would be killer! Will need to reign in the learnings and focus on security auditing and risk analysis. Stay tuned!!

I've maded a concerted effort to continue the Cybersecurity learnings. Boy oh boy! has there been a lot learned.


What We Loved

  1. Made a couple of new connections, one resulting in a potential job (fingers crossed).
  2. Started some Cypress learnings with Typescript. The purpose is for a second job that is in the works!
  3. Started on Network+ Learning. Might double-up with Security+ (3rd go-around).
  4. Made a lot of progress w. Burp Suite, namely file directory traversal, OAuth hacking, and currently brute-force authentication

What We Learned

  1. Network+: Basics of network architecture; topologies, virtual networks, and cabling.
  2. Burp Suite: Authentication Bypass.
  3. GDPR: completed learning some time ago.
  4. Windows Fundamentals: completed the HTB learning module.
  5. Cypress w. Typescript (work in progress)
  6. Python Practice (need to fix web driver)

What We Loathed

  1. Job search hasn't been as fruitful as I'd like. It's been an absolute horror. Closing in on 5 months.
  2. The idea of posting my weekly "wins" on Linked In annoys me. I prefer to be the "silent option".

What We Longed For

  1. I need a job to subsidise my learning.
  2. I need a better mentor to provide some kind of guidance, or at least a gameplan. Current has been "absent" going on 3 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment