Saturday, July 25, 2026

Security Testing Journal Entry | w/e Friday July 24, 2026 - “Peak Summer Folly” Ed.


Highlights for the week

As of this writing, FIFA 2026 Winner Spain dominated Argentina 1 - 0 in double overtime. Spain controlled the game from the beginning and had Argentina beat across all metrics like shots-on-goal, blocks, successful passes, and time of possession. Argentina did have the lead in most yellow cards, and 1 red. The collective sentiment is that the refs had helped Argentina - mostly Messi - get to the finals by way of missed calls they committed, and other calls in favor. They were the bullies that got their comeuppance. On to american football. #PhinsUp.

Week has ended as good as it started. 2 promising interviews lined up for next week. Fingers, toes, and all other possible appendages crossed.

Been seeing a lot of videos regarding GEN-X in the workplace and how we're quiting the rat race and I am nodding emphatically ... YES!! I need a job to pay the bills, but that's it.

You don't owe your employer loyalty. The reward for doing good work is getting more work. The reward for being reliable is being the ONLY one they call on.

And when you decide you no longer want that task, letting others solve the problem they started, you become a problem.

The more I reflect on my past employment, and recognize where I went wrong, the more I'm seeing the patterns with regard to THE SYSTEM. As I learned in this one video, the office politics are unavoidable by design. Say too much, you get labeled a nuisance or distraction. Say too little, and you become an unknown variable that gets a custom narrative. Do too much, and more is asked of you. Do too little, and you become disposable. The solution: DO JUST ENOUGH TO STAY EMPLOYED, AND BE DELIBERATE IN YOUR PERFORMANCE. MAKE YOUR BOSS LOOK GOOD, WHILE SOLVING THE PROBLEMS THAT NEED TO GET SOLVED. THAT'S IT.

MONDAY

Affirmation: SILENCE IS THE ONLY LANGUAGE THAT HAS NO INTERPRETATION

Saw a video this morning that had me thinking about workplace behavior and the patterns I've been dealing with my entire career. That is about being the silent professional. Back in my time, you did the job, you didn't need to be managed, and the quality of your work spoke for itself. Management could be trusted. They cared! In the last ten years, this has drastically changed. The key to success now is "visibility," where your manager has a full understanding of what you're about. Being quiet keeps the knowledge of who you are out of their decision-making process. You become an unknown variable, which only adds risk to your job tenure.

When management regards you as an unknown, they will fill the space with what they think they understand about you. The narrative is theirs. The opinion, however wrong, is in place. And your value has been determined by a rubric you had no idea existed. Hard work from an overperforming but quiet individual is inconsequential in a workplace culture that sets the rules of the game. And the rule is to keep your manager feeling needed (valued) by giving them just enough.

The goal is to be DELIBERATE & PURPOSEFUL .. not noisy. Your silence can become a liability when your manager can't speak on your behalf

TUESDAY

Affirmation: GEN-Xers ARE NOT QUITTING, THEY ARE JUST NOT PLAYING THE GAME ANYMORE

Solid video this morning regarding the fact we - Gen-X - are tasked with dealing with our elders, supporting our children, and spreading ourselves thin at work for a job that expects performance and loyalty but gives neither trust nor acknowledgement. Advancement just means more work and additional stress.

Tornado watch in effect for Morristown, NJ and Western New York, possibly Bronx and Westchester.

WEDNESDAY

Affirmation: VALUES TO LIVE BY:

  • PURPOSE - For work being done, ask .. is this moving me towards my goal or building the life I want?
  • FREEDOM - Creative freedom to do what needs doing how I see fit, and not be judged when mistakes happen.
  • IMPACT - Make a difference that matters, and is not performative.
  • HEALTH - Physical, spiritual, mental wellbeing matter more than a paycheck.
  • FAMILY - Who I live and work for. The reason I grind!

THURSDAY

Affirmation: YOU ARE NOT REQUIRED TO BE EMOTIONALLY GUARDED OR AVAILABLE EVERY DAY

Protect your peace ... at all times, in all ways.

FRIDAY

Affirmation: YOUR WORK DOES NOT DEFINE YOUR IDENTITY

A job is what you do, not who you are. Your value is not tied to how available you are to your employer.

What We’re Grateful For

  1. Grateful to have an amazing wife who is really good with home economics. I don't think I would have accomplished as much.
  2. Grateful for another week alive, the rainy days gave way to a gorgeous weekend. Proof that nothing bad lasts.
  3. God speaks to me through YouTube sometimes, I swear. And I'm grateful that I get the lessons and blessings to recognize I'm not a failure.

What We Loved

  1. It was a good week. Loved everything about it.

What We Learned

    TO DO
  1. Google Cloud (Coursera) [Status: TO DO!] Signed up; Will realistically get started when I'm done with Wraith.
  2. Android PT - [Status: TO DO!] Still Behind on this!
  3. Read "Zoro" [Status: PAUSED!] Checked out a library book - "Hacking" and reading through that.

  4. IN PROGRESS
  5. AI PT - Wraith ... Finished Module No. 7, Started Module No. 8
  6. WEB PT - Upwork [Status: UNBLOCKED!] Created account; Finished scope; Finished recon; Finished app mapping; Filed a bug regarding a unique profile being discoverable.
  7. Write - "Husb" - next chapter ... Will look into this a.s.a.p .. perhaps over the weekend.
  8. Write - Substack Article No. 4 ... Chipping away at this

  9. DONE
  10. INNER WORK [Status: CONTINUAL!] For this week: Watched a ton of videos and did some self-reflection. Found a book at the thrift store that could be valuable

What We Longed For

  1. A great job as a Software Consultant. The reality is that I'm going to need Certifications to even get a resume looksie.
  2. Leaning really hard on AI Red Teaming ... that looks like fun
  3. QA Automation job where I can be left alone, and make good $$

What We Loathed

  1. 2026 Job Market. Every month more layoffs for no apparent reason other than "AI Investments" or "Right-sizing" .

No comments:

Post a Comment