Friday, April 28, 2023

Security Testing Journal Entry | w/e Friday April 28, 2023


Highlights for the week - Glitches in the software = No $$

An eventful week to say the least. Building off of a harrowing third week in April, this last week featured another bug in a banking app that nearly sent 100% of my retirment money to the IRS as a tax payment. As a courtesy, my tax preparer gave my state tax filing a second look to ensure no glitches in the tax application. Luckily nothing found.
Thankfully, the week ended better than it started. The bank was able to resolve my transfer issue and my state taxes are good. Patiently waiting for my NYS tax re-imbursement.
Speaking of patiently waiting, it took a second email to the recruiter to determine the outcome of my application status. As expected, they gave me the "feedback was good, but we went with another candidate" bs, followed by, "if you still want to keep the lines of communication open for ..." yeah! gfys with that noise.

What We Loved

  1. Another dreary week of unemployment, but there was a lot of great learnings happening. Thankfully the bank fixed its issue and I got to move my money over to pay bills.
  2. Some small measure of gratitude is owed to H&R Block for ensuring the quality of my NYS Tax filing is 100%. No issues found.
  3. Applied to NetSPI - Associate Security Consultant - which sounds like a really cool gig.

What We Learned

  1. Network + -- network hardening
  2. Security + -- vulnerabilities; Kali / Ethical Hacking; Live chat - Defending against ransomware
  3. Book -- stuck on Chapter 7 .. so many good ideas; had to split to chapter 8 .. WIP!
  4. Automation -- finally have VSCode working; finish tutorial; do API

What We Longed For

  1. A decent job I actually love! Infosec .. I hear you calling, but I'm not ready yet. Be there soon!

What We Loathed

  1. Recruiters who never follow up. Almost got ghosted!

No comments:

Post a Comment