Monday, August 3, 2026

Security Testing Journal Entry | Monthly Assessment - August

GOALS

    IMPROVE WEB APP & API PEN TESTING SKILLS

    Needed to fix where I failed at SI and have signed up several bug bounty programs.

    STATUS

    • In Progress

    ACTION REQUIRED

    • The program's triage team are really unresponsive. The effort is in writing the report.
    • Web App - Keep grinding. You were decent at SI. You just slipped big time on the reporting. You've managed to complete a bunch so .. a win!!
    • APIs - I'm ok, but there's always more to learn
    • GraphQL - Could use more practice, but so far so good.


    IMPROVE MOBILE PEN TESTING SKILLS

    Working to improve my experience with iOS and Android Mobile Pen Testing

    STATUS

    • In Progress

    ACTION REQUIRED

    • I have a few modules left, but been stymied by other work of higher priorities


    GET MORE PROFICIENCY WITH NETWORK PEN TESTING

    Took the class with TheCyberMentor (TCM) this time last year

    STATUS

    • Paused!

    ACTION REQUIRED

    • I need more "cubes" from HackTheBox to get back into network pen testing. In the meantime, I understand the fundamentals, and have a decent cheatsheet. A workflow SI never taught me.


    LEARN AI PEN TESTING

    Signed on to Wraith.sh

    STATUS

    • In Progress. So far, I've completed 8 of 11 modules and learned a bunch. There's a certification that I will look into a.s.a.p

    ACTION REQUIRED

    • Keep moving ... almost finished.
    • Really leaning towards pivoting to AI Red Teaming.


    LEARN CLOUD SECURITY

    Need to make this a priority - AWS, GCP, or MS Azure

    STATUS

    • Not Started

    ACTION REQUIRED

    • Found the COURSERA class, but will get started when I've finished the AI Pen Testing module


    READ MORE

    Leaders are readers

    STATUS

    • In Progress

    ACTION REQUIRED

    • Since updating my library card, I checked out a book on "Hacking" which is a quick read. Will get more books as time allows.


    WRITE MORE

    Working on improving my craft

    STATUS

    • In Progress

    ACTION REQUIRED

    • (1st book) "Husb" is a work in progress. The last few chapters are a grind.
    • (2nd book) "Cult*ure" is paused. Need to get back into it soon.
    • SUBSTACK - started publishing more.
    • MEDIUM - Without a membership, my work isn't getting monetized. But I have a few new followers.


    GET OSCP

    A must have certification for security contract work / pen testing

    STATUS

    • Not Started

    ACTION REQUIRED

    • The certification is cost-prohibitive and the idea of spending $2k on a maybe, or worse is just not worth it.
    • Alternative certs like the eJPT and TNPT are affordable close-seconds.


No comments:

Post a Comment